A new collaboration - complete beginners pottery classes with Sylph Baier and Alain Devise during January, February and March 2019
Sunday 13th January until Sunday 20th January 2019
Sunday 10th February until Sunday 17th February 2019
Sunday 10th March until Sunday 17th March 2019
Flights to and from Bordeaux can be with Ryanair or EasyJet.
Airport shuttle included.
4 places with full board and lodging. Vegetarians and Vegans can be catered for.
Full board and lodging, materials and tuition fee.
- 2 double bedrooms with ensuite bathrooms ('blue' and 'red' rooms), suitable for bringing a non potting partner at half price. £980/£490
- One attic room ('white room) for two people sharing, with shared bathroom below. £880 p.p.
- Large library at your disposal, own shared living kitchen diner with English TV.
Limited wifi due to a satellite service. Fine for checking emails but not for streaming or Netflix.
- Collection from and to Bordeaux airport on the Sundays.
- Full board and lodging.
- All tuition fees for 30 hours tuition by Sylph Baier and Alain Devise. All materials and firing costs up to 5 kg of stoneware clay included.
Breakfast buffet in own kitchen, lounge, diner,
Tuition: 5 days - 6 hours a day
Monday - Friday
9:30 - 12:30 and 14:00 – 17:00
- Tea and coffee will be served in the morning and the afternoon.
- Lunch will be taken at a local inn.
- A light evening meal will be served.
- We offer YouTube clips in the evening on ceramic topics, or you can relax by lighting your own log fire in one of our French stoves and make use of the library.
3 French electric wheels, 2 shimpo RK10 wheels, 2 electric kilns, one wood fired Raku kiln, one gas fired Raku kiln, slab roller.
Clays and glazes
Geology, collecting raw materials in nature, preparing the collected clay.
- Types of rocks and their use in ceramics
- Composition of the terrestrial crust, and of different clays: earthenware, stoneware, porcelain.
- From rocks to glass: simple approach to glazing
- Learning about firing temperatures
Slab building, coiling.
Throwing on the electric wheel
- Clay wedging and 4 fundamental moves for throwing on the wheel
- Turning with different cutting tools
- Decoration: slip, sgraffito, glaze decoration.
- Firing of the pots you made, on the last day: Raku and smoke firing, or electric firing, depending on the future use of your pots.
Wine is charged separately and we sell it by the bottle from our cellar.
For details or if you wish to book, please contact Sylph Baier at email@example.com